Thursday, August 2, 2012

Enthused Thursday: Lawless

     With Gangster Squad on an unfortunate but understandable hiatus, I decided to not get downtrodden on having to wait for another (hopefully) fantastic gangster film, and rather, have chosen to look forward to Lawless for the time being, which actually looks quite promising. Directed by John Hillcoat, who is well versed and experienced in gritty, all guns-blazing films, the film looks to be a place where Hillcoat should be at home, with it's intense suspicious themes, that will likely bubble up into violence. After watching a few trailers, I found myself quite looking forward to the film. I break down my excitement after the jump.
     Lawless is the true story of the Bondurant Brothers, siblings who decided to turn a profit on the outlawing of alcohol, and the premise of this film is intriguing in and of itself, as the Prohibition Era hasn't seen all that much time on the big screen, and I think it certainly is grounds for a feature film. 
     What actually has me most excited for the film however, is the cast. Of the three brothers, I'm most looking forward to viewing Tom Hardy's role, playing Forrest Bondurant, who seems to be the wiser and more hesitant of the brothers, when it comes to their illegal enterprises. Hardy has more than proven himself in recent cinema, and I expect nothing less than another great performance from him. The other big name I'm truly excited for is Gary Oldman, who will be playing the mob boss Floyd Banner, who no one should trust. What really excites me about this is seeing Oldman return to the type of role that made him famous, and made for some of his greatest performances, the villain. It's exciting to see him back in this element again, and I think it will make for some fantastic on screen tension. 
     Despite the film's name, there will of course be some presence of the law, and Guy Pearce will thankfully be filling that role, as the deputy set on bringing the Bondurant Brothers down. All these elements should mix together nicely in Lawless, hopefully making for an intriguing and more mindful then mindless action film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment