Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Trailer Tuesday: The Campaign and Skyfall

     It's Trailer Tuesday once again, and there is no shortage of them to talk about today. There's a lot of previews to be excited about, but today I'll be talking about the new political comedy, The Campaign with Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis, as well as the new Daniel Craig Bond film, Skyfall. I do realize I've already touched upon Skyfall in a previous post, but I recently saw the new extended trailer in my Dark Knight Rises screening, and I was too excited not talk about it. Read on after the jump for my thoughts on both new films!
     I had already expressed that I was rather looking forward to the new Bond film in a previous post, but the new trailer had so much new content to look forward too, I just have to briefly talk about it. First of all, it finally illustrates the premise of the film, which has been under wraps for quite a while. The first scene shows M writing Bond's obituary, which is a rather intriguing beginning. This has me wondering if they are taking queues from the earlier Connery-Bond film, You Only Live Twice, and he will be going undercover, or if they will be taking it in a new direction. Either way, I think this premise will play out well in the film.
     We also get a better glimpse of the new Q, played by Ben Whishaw. Obviously there is a lot riding on his performance, since the character is so integral to the Bond lore and universe. In this trailer thankfully as the one before, I continue to like what I see. Whishaw's Q is young, smart, and witty, as he seems to take pride in being the Geek Squad division of MI6. It would make sense that modern Q is a young techie, which gives him good motives to be both be on the forefront of modern gadgets and tech, as well as give him a drive to prove himself in a much more experienced environment. He also introduces Bond to his weapon of choice, the Walther PPK, which we find out is coded to Bond's fingerprints, and can only be fired from his hand. This also gives me confidence that the gadgets in the film will be cool but not overly so, as to keep a sleek but serious feel to the film.
     Now dramatically changing genres, I'm excited to be talking about the new comedy The Campaign, which will bring together the comic greatness of Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis. The first thing I noticed from watching the trailer is that Cam Brady seems to be an offshoot of Ferrell's George Bush impression, and while the character is used quite a bit by Ferrell, I say if it's still funny, why not? It certainly seems to work well in the trailer, and play off of Galifianakis' sweater-wearing oddball, Marty Huggins in a unique manner. 
     I'm optimistic the film will be good, but it looks like a comedy that can easily walk the line between gut-busting laughter and chirping crickets. Political humor will have to be intelligent if it want's to be funny, and as with any type of humor, it would benefit references to current situations. If it succeeds in this, I think the film could be a great one, but I'm also cautious of it descending into Talladega Nights-esque shenanigans. I'm given more hope by the presence of Jason Sudeikis, who I find absolutely hilarious in both Horrible Bosses and Going the Distance, which I'd both recommend to fans of his comedy. 
     Both new films look promising, and I look forward to the debut of both. Skyfall looks like it's going to be fantastic and possibly the best Daniel Craig Bond film yet, and I'm especially excited that they're introducing more aspects of what made the original Bond character so great. The Campaign looks to be a toss up, and it ultimately could go either way. I'm hopeful for a great political comedy, but I think for this one, and as is true for any election, we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment