Thursday, June 21, 2012

Enthused Thursday: Django Unchained

     It's Enthused Thursday, and today I'm excited about Django Unchained. Quentin Tarantino recently revealed his newest project due out around Christmas time, and the director looks to give his unique vision on another era in time, much like Inglorious Basterds. I give my thoughts on the new film, right after the jump.
     Django Unchained is the story of a released slave, out to seek his revenge and rescue his wife, with the aide of a notorious bounty hunter, and there is much to be excited about. 
     The film is completely separate from the earlier spaghetti westerns bearing the same title, and Tarantino has simply chosen the name for his wronged protagonist, played by Jamie Foxx. I think he is a fantastic choice for the role, as he will be able to bring his signature charm to the role. Foxx also has practice playing the role of a bounty hunter, or 'murder consultant' I should say, but this role looks to be a bit more serious. 
     Christoph Waltz plays the bounty hunter masquerading as a dentist, who promises to provide more pain than the usual root canal. I'm more than happy to see Waltz returning in Tarantino's newest project, as his role in Inglorious Basterds was absolutely fantastic, and more than worthy of the Academy Award for Supporting Role. I think he will play just as well off of the new character, and make for a very intriguing film. 
      Of course I also have to talk about Leonardo DiCaprio's role, which makes the already star-studded cast even more exciting. It seems that DiCaprio's role as a villain is long overdue, and I would guess he will put everything he's got into the performance, which never disappoints. There is also new information indicating that Jonah Hill will be joining the project, which, while a little odd is a welcome addition in my eyes.
     The only aspect of the film I am skeptical of is the gore. While I am usually fairly tolerable of such, Tarantino's films often seem to rely and center around the aspect too much. I found that Inglorious Basterds was able to hold the same grittiness while cutting back the gore, and if Django does the same, I'll happily hop on board Django Unchained. 

No comments:

Post a Comment