Thursday, June 14, 2012

Enthused Thursday: Gangster Squad

     As the summer blockbuster season will be dying down in September, Gangster Squad will be debuting with it's star studded cast, and I think it's certainly something to look forward to. Boasting a very similar premise to The Untouchables, I think the timing for the film is on point, as it's been quite a bit since we've had a good gangster flick. I'll talk about all the reasons I'm getting locked and loaded for Gangster Squad after the jump.
     I think a few key pieces will have to fall into place for Gangster Squad to work, but I think if they do, it could be a fantastic film. The movie will be directed by Ruben Fleischer, who has also directed the recent 30 Minutes Or Less, as well as the monster flick that brought Emma Stone's career back to life and in the spotlight, Zombieland. Zombieland especially was very impressive stylistically as it took some unique approaches in it's direction, and I think such vision and momentum could certainly work if applied correctly in a film as action-y as Gangster Squad.
     Another component that I think could certainly fall into place is the writing. Will Beall will be writing the film, and I think is a fitting choice. Beall has recently been chosen to write the film adaption of The Justice League (DC's answer to the success of The Avengers) which shows some faith in his talents. He has also worked as story editor for a while on Nathan Fillion's Castle, a homicide investigation television show that features a lot of quick witted humor and quips, and I think this could easily translate to some hard-boiled detective banter on Gangster Squad.
     Probably the most impressive factor of the film however has to be the quality cast. The cast of actors looks to be as high caliber as the bullets they'll be discharging from their slew of Tommy Guns, and I think they could really make the film. The movie is actually based on the LAPD's battle with mobster Mickey Cohen, who in this film will be played by Sean Penn. It can be seen in the trailer that he is even wearing a prosthetic and make-up to bear more of a semblance to the gangster himself. A lot of weight is being put on his shoulders in the role, but after seeing his fantastic performance in 21 Grams and hearing of the success of both Milk and The Tree of Life I'm sure he will give the role all he can. 
     Ryan Gosling also looks perfectly suited for his role, and he looks to be channeling the same cold-blooded-killer persona as he did in Drive, and I think the formula could work again. His chemistry with Emma Stone is extremely noticeable as it was in Crazy, Stupid, Love when she asks him, "You going to take me away from all this?" and he matter-of-factly responds, "No ma'am, I was just hoping to take you to bed.", who knows though, maybe she'll break down his player persona once again.
     Josh Brolin looks to be a unapologetic leader of the misfit cops, and I'm confident he will be able to channel the period of the film with his performance, as he did in Men In Black 3. And Anthony Mackie should feel more than at home in a fedora after his role as a member of the mysterious member of The Adjustment Bureau in the as such titled film.
     What I also found to be extremely reassuring in the trailer was the use of gore in the film. While there does appear to be a fair amount of blood in the film, it is used as a prop, not a driving force, which is what sometimes irks me about Tarantino's films. I think sometimes it can be distracting to the brilliance of a film, and from the early views of violence in the movie, it seems to have found a good balance.
     All in all I think the Gangster Squad is certainly worth the hype it is generating. It looks to be a fun action-revenge film if not a dark, gritty detective flick, and I think either could work for the film. Although it is still fairly soon to get excited for Gangster Squad, I can at least guarantee at this point that it won't leave you sleeping with the fishes. I'd keep an eye on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment